Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Back to Blogging

Several have asked me to pick up the blog again. I admit; I got discouraged with the lack of comments. (I confess; I read Cope's blog with 65 comments and I compared and found me lacking). I always seem to be doing that - this game of comparing. I compare my church attendance, baptisms, programs, salary - against other ministers, churches. Do you ever do that? When you come out ahead - you feel better; when you come out on the short end of the stick - you feel like a looser.

SO - we begin anew with a new mindset. I'll just do my thing and not compare this blog with anyone else's blog. In fact, I'm beginning to do that with other areas - I'm not going to compare my family, my church, my ministry with anyone else. Okay. There is a lot of peace in that kind of decision!

Just finished reading "And The Shofar Blew" by Francine Rivers. Every minister should read this book! It is the story of a man building a mega church and the effects it has on him. Very powerful.

Also reading "Simple Church" by Tom Rainer. Great book. Our small group is reading "The Jesus I Never Knew" by Philip Yancey. Wow. The leadership book I'm reading right now is "The 360 Degree Leader" by John Maxwell. What are you currently reading?

Our new small group is a book club. We have about a dozen who have signed up! Our first book was "The Last Sin Eater" by Francine Rivers. Great book! Our next book is a classic - "This Present Darkness" by Frank Peretti. Seems a good way to promote the reading of Christian function. The response has been encouraging.

Welcome back to the blog.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Glad to see you blogging again. Hope you keep with it. I enjoy reading your posts.

Comparisons are always hard. I did a lesson last Sunday on working our "approval addictions" (stole from Ortberg) with the spiritual discipline of secrecy (Mark 6:1-8). I think it was a lesson I needed to prepare and get into me more than anything else.

Sounds like you have a lot of books on your plate. I'll be interested to hear your takes on them.

Unknown said...

Good luck with the comparisons thing. It's an uphill, but worthwhile pursuit I think.

I just finished The Zahir by Paulo Coelho (I love his books). I'm reading The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh, also a great book. I highly recommend it.