Monday, February 21, 2005

Why are you a Christian?

I would highly recommend Brian McLaren's new book, "A Generous Orthodoxy". I recommend it, not because I agree with everything he says, but because the book makes you think.
Here is his thoughts on why he is a Christian:

"I am a Christian because I have confidence in Jesus Christ –in all his dimensions
(those I know and those I don\'t). I trustJesus. I think Jesus is right because
I believe God was in Jesus in anunprecedented way. Through Jesus I have entered
into a real, experiential relationship with God as Father, and I have receivedGod's
Spirit into my life. I have experienced the love of God throughJesus, and as the old
hymn says, "love so amazing, so divine, demandsmy heart, my life, my all." As I
seek to follow Jesus as my leader, guide, and teacher, I believe I am experiencing life
in its fullest dimensions – full of joyand love, and yes, full of struggle and challenge, too. For all these reasons and more, I love Jesus. I believe Jesus embraces me and you
and the whole world in the love of God."

So, why are you a Christian (if you are)? Sometime in the next few days, sit down and ask yourself that very question. If you don't mind, share your answer with me?

No comments: