Monday, November 14, 2005

The Church is my voo-doo doll?

After several weeks of just awesome Sundays - it was bound to happen. Our worship leader called to say that he couldn't be there - had to get a last minute replacement, the computer that runs our projector blew up; the chairs in the worship center were a mess; a teacher came in and needed help with the copier, so I did all that instead of having quite time and focusing on the sermon. (Church is like that sometimes; you have to do the "stuff" - no time for what you're really called to do!) As we were in the service, the men went to serve the Lord's Supper. It wasn't there! No one had thought to get it from the kitchen.
As I was walking out of the building following second assembly, someone yells at me - "who is going to lock up?!". Translation - "Hey, Randy - lock up the building!". I did.
Here's the deal - when the church has a great day - I feel great! When the church has a bad day - I tend to be discouraged and down. If the church is going through a growth spurt, I'm excited and everything looks rosey. If the church is struggling - I get down and negative about everything. The church becomes a voodoo doll in terms of my emotions. THAT is not good, but if I'm honest - too often it is true.
Here's hoping we have a good Sunday next week!

No comments: