Friday, February 24, 2006

ACU Lectures

Haven't been to the Abilene Christian University lectures in over 13 years. The reason? Partly because of the distance - a 22 hour drive (or a $275 flight), but mostly because of content. While living there (1989-1993) the lectures seemed out of date - old topics; same teachers every year.
This year I returned - Mark Love is the new director and he is doing a great job of bringing new energy and vision to the ACU lectures. My highlights - the "U2 and the Psalms" on Sunday night, David Fleer's keynote on Monday night on John 4, and Randy Harris' 3 day class on spiritual direction. I missed Mike Cope's keynote. Heard it was excellent - so I bought the tape and will listen to it very soon.
They even let me teach a class! My topic was "Sacred Sorrow" - the 2 words that will change our worship from Hab. 3:17 (lament worship). I am scheduled to teach the same class at Pepperdine in May.
Okay, okay - the "other" highlight was getting great Tex-Mex, excellent BBQ, mouth watering chicken fried steak, feasting on catfish, breakast tacos at Towne Crier . ending the week with a feast on Joe T. Garcia's in Ft. Worth. Ah, the food!!! The food!!!!
The best part of the week was seeing friends that I had not seen in a long time. It was great to renew "the tie that binds" and catch up on their lives. Am I really that old?
As you can tell - I will be returning to ACU.

2 comments:

Chris Benjamin said...

And let's not forget that being in Abilene moves you a little closer still to Toad Suck. A happy place where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and everyone would be delighted if the Hogs could make an appearance in March Madness.

Countdown to Crisis in Tennessee! T minus Eight minutes!

Randy said...

Chris -- WOW!!! Watched much of the game on a video feed on yahoosports. Can you believe it? Enough to be invited to dance?