Saturday, June 24, 2006

Pour Your Heart Into It


Got"mapped" for my radiation treatmens this past week. Had to wear this mesh mask for about 40 minutes as they did a CT scan of the cancerous skin. With my ear taped forward, the mask got tighter and tighter. I'd rather have all my teeth pulled. Oh, well. I start the treatments next Tuesday. I'll go every day for 4 weeks.
Tommorow the sermon is "A Sheep Looks at the 23rd Psalm". This was my "tryout" sermon at Southside in the fall of '92. Several who have not heart it asked me preach it again. So, the pressure is on!
Been reading an awesome book on business called "Pour Your Heart Into It" by Howard Schultz. I try to read a book on leadership/"business"/a growing church's story - about once a month or so. One of my all time favorites is "The E-Myth". Best book on "church" I've every read. (Just subsitute the word church for business and the concepts translate really well).
The book covers the story of how Starbucks got started. Here are some major points from the Prologue: "Care more than others think wise; Risk more than others think safe; Dream more than others think practical; Expect more than others think possible."
I'll tell you more about it later. I've been captivated by the vision of Schultz. Wow! Do yourself a big favor. Get the book and start reading.

3 comments:

preacherman said...

Randy,
I will keep you in my prayers.
Loved the quote.
Sounds like a great read.
Thanks for your post.
Have a great day and know that you are in my prayers as you start your treatments.

Susan said...

The book sounds great, I'll be sure to pick it up. Take good care of yourself. My thoughts are with you.

Little Clay said...

and so again.... you think you can do books here too.......