Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Must Read Books

Before I give my list of must read books, I must give a movie recommendation. Go see "August Rush"! One of the best movies I've seen in years. You'll be cheering at the end! You want to applaud when the credits roll. How long has it been since you wanted to do that? Take a date to see this great movie.

MUST READ BOOKS. Okay, I know that I will forget one or two - but here it goes. Here is my must read Christian book list. These are not for preachers, but for everyone to read!


ABC’s of Christianity Rubel Shelly
I Just Want to be a Christian by Rubel Shelly
Experiencing God
Your God is Too Safe by Mark Buchanan
Simply Christian by N.T. Wright
It’s Not About Me by Max Lucado - any book by Lucado!
My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers
Knowing God by J.I. Packer
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
More Than A Carpenter by Josh McDowell
The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning
Messy Spirituality by Mike Yaconelli
The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

Any you would like to add to the list?

Next: My favorite Christian fiction books!

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I like Generous Orthodoxy by McLaren. Also, if the person is a new Christian I would say it's very important for the person to read a good book on the history of Christianity. I would recommend Church History: An Essential Guide by Justo Gonzalez or Turning Points by Noll. Both are short and pretty easy reads.

Randy said...

Cody, Your point is a good one on church history. Kevin showed me one that he thought was very readable yesterday. I don't think I would have a new believer read McLaren. He tends to be vague about some core doctrines, like the resurrection. I like him, but I think you need some grounding before you launch into McLaren's writings.

Vic Goodman said...

For the new Christian I'd have to say Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Followed by the rest of the books in the Bible.