Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Memorizing Scripture

When I was in college I did a lot of scripture memorization. I remember a final for Jerry Jones was 50 of 100 verses he had us memorize. Since then, I haven't done much of this discipline.

However, the Bible tells us to "have the word of Christ dwell in us richly". I have just begun to spend some time everyday memorize scripture. I have begun to use scripture as prayer. (Psalms are great for prayer!)

My next goal is to memorize all the prayers of Paul. Right now, I'm working on a huge goal that will take several more months to finish. (tell you when I'm done. Several other ministers know of my challenge - I am being accountable to them).

Just do a verse or two a day. Take just 10 minutes to memorize it. Simply put the verse on a notecard and take it with you. Review it on your break. Take a look at it during lunch. When you go to bed.

You'll be amazed at the difference in your attitude. It will affect what you think about. You can join the Psalmist when he says, "I am consumed with longing for your laws at all times."''

No comments: