Tuesday, October 07, 2008

recommendations

Seems like good books are like good movies - they all come out at once. Why is that?

Here are great books that I'm currently reading:

"It" by Greg Groeschel. Groeschel's book "Confessions of a Pastor" is on my all time best reading list. This book may join that list.

"Looking For God: An Unexpected Journey through tattoos, tofu & pronouns" by Nancy Ortberg. Nancy is a great story teller. One of my favorite chapters was on pronouns. (Nancy is the wife of John Ortberg, who wrote another favorite of mine "If You Want To Walk On Water You've Got To Get Out of the Boat").

"Axiom" by Bill Hybels. Short, well-written leadership axioms by one of my favorite leaders! I try to limit myself to one a chapter a day, but like Lays Potato Chips, sometimes you can eat just one - you go for more!

"Countdown To Sunday: A Daily Guide For Those Who Dare To Preach" by Chris Erdman. A fresh look at sermon prep from a healthy perspective. Wish I had read these insights when I was first started preaching.

I would also highly recommend the movie "Fireproof". Wow. Made by the same church which produced "Facing The Giants", this movie is a great statement about marriage. If you know a first responder, take them as your guest.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Good to see you blog again brother, too far between them, I always like to hear what's going on just north of us.

Axiom was really good. Tasty, bite-sized, and powerful little axioms for leadership that was practical, challenging, and honest. I can dig it.

I was also really drawn to the "linking" system at the end of each axiom. I thought it was fairly innovative.

Randy said...

Dave, thanks! Say, I got an interesting call from a church from Florida a few weeks ago. Know anything about that?!