Monday, January 12, 2009

Touring an LDS temple

Took a tour of the new LDS Temple in Draper, Utah on Saturday. Very interesting for sure! The whole concept of temples in contemporary Christianity seems to me to be counter intuative to what Jesus taught.

However, there is much that I appreciate about the concept of "temple". What I like is their emphasis on being quiet. In one room, no talking whatsoever is allowed. The atmosphere calls you to be still and quiet before the Lord.

I don't know about you, but I find it difficult to find a place of still and quietness.

I know that being quiet doesn't equal being reverant. I get that. I do need a place to be quiet. God has told us to be still and to know that He is God. Where do you do that? Do you have a certain room in your house? A park you go to? Where is your quiet place?

To be honest, there is a lot more that distrubs me about their temples. But the sense of quiet I really do admire.

If you ever get a chance, take a tour of an LDS temple. It will open up future converstion with an LDS (Mormon) friend or neighbor.

No comments: