Monday, April 10, 2006

A Busy Weekend!

Had a very busy weekend! On Saturday night I went to "A Night With The NFL" at the University of Utah. Tony Dungee, head coach of Indianapolis Colts, Jeff Harding (starting center for the Steelers) and Luther Ellis (a former Utah Ute and Detroit Lion) all spoke about their faith in Christ. A very powerful evening!

Had a very unusal and busy Sunday yesterday. Since our youth minister was preaching, I went to our first service, then, as I like to do when I'm not preaching - I visited two other churches! I do this for several reasons: First, I like to get new ideas! Second, I like to encourage the minister (I know most of the minister's from various "pastor's" groups I'm invovled with). Third, it reminds me that there are many ways of doing "church" - and each glorifies God in a unique way.
So, yesterday I went to South Mountian Community Church for their first service. SM is probably the second largest evangelical church in Salt Lake (Calvary Chapel is the largest). Then, I went to the Adventure Four Square for their second service. Their minister, Eric Van Rahee wanted to pray for me during the service, which I thought was neat, but an hour into the service he still wasn't preaching, and I had to go because we were having our 40 Days of Purpose Task Force Potluck Pizza celebration and evaluation at Southside at 1:00 p.m.! I got some great ideas!
Sometimes, I have to fight the urge to be envious of other people's "success". Both of these churches started about 7 years ago - one of about 1,200; the other about 600! Southside has been here since 1976 - we almost got to 400 before our church plant three years ago. It's hard not be to jealous of their numbers and wonder why my church isn't that "big". The thought kinda nags at me - "if you were a better ________, your church would be as big as theirs!" But in reality, I know that is not true!
And yes, sometimes I visit small churches and encourage them, too. These two churches just happen to be about a half mile from each other!
To top the afternoon off - we had a team leaders meeting at 3. Needless to say, I went home about 6 in the evening, tired but blessed. It was a great weekend of ministry and idea gathering, celebrating and planning, being encouraged and inspired. Not a bad way to spend a weekend!
The new week has started! Let's glorify God in all we do! Easter is coming! Jesus is resurrected! (and so must my sermon for Sunday! It's still in the tomb!)
With God's Best, Randy

1 comment:

Susan said...

A hero of mine, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi said: "It is the quality of our work which will please God and not the quantity." Rest assured that you have touched many lives, and will continue to do so daily.