Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Reading Retreat

Since I'm not preaching on Sunday, for the next two days I'm having a 'reading retreat'. I'm not going anywhere - just catching up on my books stacked up waiting to be read. Today I read "Rekindled" - a Christian fiction book written by a friend of mine Tamera Alexander. It is her first book to be pubished - she has signed with Bethany House for a series called "The Fountian Creek Chronicles". This was the first book in the series. Much in the tradition of Janette Oke and Beverly Lewis - Alexander holds her own! Way to go Tamera!
Tonight I'm starting "Eragon" and tomorrow I'm finishing "7 Practices of Effective Ministry" and will hopefully put a dent in "Seeking Lasting City".
It snowed all day today, so it was a great day not to have to put a sermon in the oven - and just enjoy some reading. Haven't done that in a LONG time and it was good for the soul. Even cancelled plans to go out to lunch with my preacher buds and called the wife and took her out to lunch.
I need more reading retreats - maybe a day devoted to reading once month? More lunches with my wife - yes!

No comments: