Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Communicating For a Change


Just in the past few weeks I've had a lot of comments like "Your preaching some seems really focused of late . ." or "man, I don't know what it is but your last few sermons have been awesome." Well, I'm going to give you the secret -


I've changed the way I preach. I was trained do to expository preaching. Three points and all that stuff. (Not that I have thrown that out; we still need to have balance!).


Just read the fantastic book "Communicating for a Change" by Andy Stanley. He teaches that we should have one point. One point! He outlines a sermon with: Me-We-God-You-Me. Then, ask five questions: What do they need to know? (Information) Why do they need to know it? (Movitvation) What do they need to do? (Application) Why do they need to do it? Inspiration How can I help them remember? (Reiteration).


Since I've been using this model for my sermons, the reaction has been amazing. AND, it made creating the sermon more challenging, yet rewarding when I've seen the results!


Now, I won't use it exclusively, but it will be a major tool in the tool box. I still believe that we need balance in our preaching and teaching.


Check this book out! It will help you see preaching in a whole new way by a man that I believe has a real gift in communicating to the present culture.


No comments: