Saturday, March 23, 2013

No Joshing!





“No Joshing”


At the covenant renewal at Shechem Joshua gives his final farewell to all the tribes of Israel.   He gives us the famous line, “  . . . but as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”  (Joshua 24:15)

Joshua is giving his last words to the nation of Israel.  He implores them to throw away the gods their forefathers worshiped beyond the River in Egypt.   He exhorts them to “fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness.”  (Joshua 24:14)

We all make that choice everyday.   What will I worship today?  What will capture my heart?  What will have my attention?   I will I lead my family today?  What impact will my decisions have on others?  

On that day the people the people said that they would “serve the Lord”.    Joshua again implores them to ‘throw away the foreign gods that are among you and yield your hearts to the Lord, the God of Israel.” (24:23)

What gods do you need to throw away?  What things have captured your heart ?

How could you serve the Lord your God today??  Seriously – sit down for a few minutes and think about that.   Just write down two or three things that you could do this week to serve the Lord.    Then, do them! 

Do that and you will have a great week!

No Joshing!

No comments: