Sunday, March 31, 2013

Most Unusual Easter Sermon

Today I preached my 20th Easter sermon for the Southside Church.   What more can I say about the Easter that I haven't already said? I began a few weeks ago thinking about today's sermon.   I was almost dreading today when I started thinking . . . .

 In our "Journey Thru The Bible in 2013" series I had a decision to make - do I continue the series and preach on the book of Ruth or do I have an "Easter" sermon?  The answer was yes!

In the story of Ruth the kinsman redeemer is the hero!  Boaz loves Ruth with an "hesed" kind of love. (Hesed is the kind of love given when it is undeserved).   He is the kinsman redeemer and buys back the land and takes Ruth as his wife.  He rescues Ruth and Naomi from their plight.    They have a son Obed, who is the father of Jesse, who is the father of David.  The line of Jesus continues!

The story is a great reminder that Jesus is the ultimate kinsman redeemer!  He loves us with a love that isn't deserved.  He buys us back and restores us to Gods original intent!

It may be my most unusual Easter sermon I've ever preached.  As it turns out, I did have something new to say!  God never ceases to amaze me!

Happy Easter!    


No comments: