Monday, December 19, 2005

memories

Loved the movie "Walk The Line" - which chronicled the life of Johnny Cash. The movie brought back some great memories of when my dad would put on a stack of records every night at bed time - Johnny Cash (A lot of Johnny Cash!), Charlie Pride, Mere Haggard, Porter Wagner, Loretta Lynn, etc. You can one of those albums on right now and I can tell you what the next song is going to be!
I wonder what my kids will remember from their childhoods? Here's the deal - you can't always choose what kids will remember. In other words, you can't force memories. I do think we can be intentional - create "memories" - but for the most part, I think memories just flow out of "normal" living.
What are some of your memories?

*************************************************

A family missed assembly yesterday - so I talked with them last night and asked why. They said that with packing to leave for the holiday that they were just too stressed to come to church. Are we missing something when Christ came to give us peace yet we are too stressed to come and celebrate that peace?! Or, does it say something about how we do church? (Sometimes adding stress instead of relieving it?) Any thoughts?

*************************************************
Our church packed out a theater on Saturday to see "Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". WOW! What a fantastic movie! Any reaction of the film? I thought the kids, especially Lucy, were great for their roles. Well done, Disney!

**************************************************

1 comment:

Courtney & Co. said...

My best childhood memories are all of going to the lake in the summer. My grandparents had a cabin there and we spent every weekend of every summer there when I was young. I LOVED the lake! I learned to water ski when I was three and I could slalom by the time I was 8 . . .we would swim, fish and stay up late at night playing cards (we even pretended my grandpa didn't cheat just to keep it fun!). My grandpa, Papa J.D. knew everyone and everything at that lake! He was the lake in my mind! My grandmother sold the cabin soon after my granddad died in 2000 . . .I would love to spend one more summer at the lake with my boys . . .but I know it just wouldn't be the same without "the old man" there.

We saw the Narnia movie last week and loved it! I thought it was very well done and was a great representation of the book . . .I second your "well done Disney." Our congregation is doing a Narnia themed activity in February. . .I am playing the role of the White Witch (and making the costume) and I cannot wait!!! I even found a recipe for Turkish delight to serve to quest at the palace. . .at least those that aren't turned to stone!!!!