Tuesday, July 05, 2005

New Definition of Freedom

By the way - anyone notice the new picture? It had been 18 years since I had a studio picture made - since ACU and Pepperdine wanted an updated picture for their lecturship booklets, I decided to breakdown and "get-er-done". Man, I hate to do that!
Over the 4th of July I kept thinking about freedom. I wonder how Elizabeth Smart would now define freedom; I thought of that little girl found in Denny's in northern Idaho after being held captive for six weeks. Do they have a new perspective on what it means to be free?
For me, this fourth of July, was more than just watching a fireworks show. I had a new appreciation for my freedom. Not just my freedom to be in America; but my freedom being in Christ!
I wonder how Legion or Mary Magdalene described being free in Christ? You see, a former captive always has a better definition and appreciation of freedom.
Remember today - we who were formerly captive to sin - have been set free! Let us go "fourth" and set the world on "fire" (not based on our "works") with our message of freedom!!!

2 comments:

Dave said...

What happened to the picture? Why are your arms folded? I don't know man, I think you should have had this new picture done with a Razorbacks football jersey on while you were a'pickin and a'grinnin on the old 'jo.

Randy said...

Dave - I'm with you bro. Man, I'm with ya. Due to circumstances beyond my control . . . .