Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Theological Pagans

Keith has been my neighbor for the last 12 years. When you saw him he was always sipping a beer. He couldn't say good morning without taking the Lord's name in vain. He didn't care if my four year old was standing there with me, his language was as colorful as the land of Oz. He smoked liked a chimney. Took me four years to realize his house didn't have a fireplace.

He was religious. When I asked him about if he had faith, "Hell, yea. I'm Greek Orthodox. Great church," then add, "glad your a Christian, hate to live by a *%#@ " Oooookay. He was religious- but without a walk with God.

Keith passed away Sunday night. I will miss him. He was my "Wilson" - we had many talks between the backyard fence.

Keith reminds me of what I see in a lot of people. Theological pagans. You know them too - they have a church affliation, may even go most of the time - yet they do not have a relationship with God. Ritual without righteousness.
A person whose language, thoughts, activities, speech, schedule - have no bent toward the kingdom of God - much less being involved in the kingdom beyond Sunday assembly. Although they "know" God - His values do not penetrate their lives.

May our lives be relfective of a relationship with God. May our faith be a lifestyle - not a "religion".

Won't you be my neighbor?

1 comment:

Courtney & Co. said...

Howdy Neighbor!

Great thoughts. . .thank you.