Monday, July 11, 2005

reflectin'

Ah, to sit under a shade tree sipping an ice cold DP. Good time to do some reflectin'. I was thinking that our preteens are going to camp tomorrow. A minister from the Christian church wanted to be a counselor at camp. The camping board, comprised of several churches of Christ in Idaho, said that he couldn't come. Another young man is going - he was accepted as a counselor - beside the fact that he hasn't been to assembly for the last 6 months. But - he does belong to a "church of Christ" - he goes to the "right" church, so he is automatically qualified. Go figure.
Goodness. I think we need a 12 step program. PA. Pharisees Anonymous. We need some serious intervention. Lets kidnap 'em - blindfolded - and get them to treatment.
I still remember a sermon by Jimmy Allen when I was a sophomore at Harding. It was on undenominational Christianity. Dr. Allen - 30 years later - we still need to hear that sermon!
I also remember the prophetic voice of Landon Saunders in some preaching tapes that Jerry Jones made us listen to make this bold statement "In thirty years a new restoration movement will arise . . . and we (the churches of Christ) will be the first group to oppose it." H-o-l-y cow.
Well, I'm out of D.P. I'll be back soon.

4 comments:

Courtney & Co. said...

I am at a loss. . .what is going on lately. . .where is Christ in the church of Christ. . .I've been looking, but I'm afraid. . .well, I'm just afraid and frustrated.
Hang on, I'll get you another DP so you can finish your reflections.
Be right back. . .

David Michael said...

Randy,

Sounds like you are a missionary to the Church of Christ! That is a sad story about the Christian Church brother.

I also remember those days at Harding. There were also some guest speakers and professors that had a different view of "undenominational Christianity." Yet there were always some fresh winds blowing.

Good luck with PA!

Chris Benjamin said...

Keep reflecting Randy. The statement from Landon is very prophetic and disturbing. I would just like to hope that the restoration Landon predicted would arise will indeed arise. Maybe it is and I cannot see it?

Wouldn't it be good if all of us from all sides of every issue would just pray before we do anything else. And pray with one another.

Doesn't every revival and restoration begin with prayer?

Keep up the good writing!

Nancy French said...

Hey! I just found your blog, via David's CORE one. Anyway, I have enjoyed reading it. I used to be CoC... understand all that you're saying...