Monday, May 08, 2006

Da Vinci Code Sermon?

Had a crazy week last week. Came back from a long drive from Oklahoma on Monday - with a funeral to plan for Wednesday. As with any funeral, it took most of Tuesday and all of Wednesday (including Wednesday evening). Had several other appointments to come up. On Friday attend the Maxiumum Impact seminar (vie simucast from Atlanta,GA) with John Maxwell, Dave Ramsey, Archie & Peyton Manning, Mark Sandborn, etc - it was really good! (I was offered a free ticket! Preachers can't turn down a free invite!). I was called about 12:45 to do the graveside service (on Friday - during the seminar) from the funeral on Wednesday. (The family had forgotten to invite me). Luckily, they wanted everyone to wear jeans which worked out well because I was wearing jeans!
THEN, on Friday night and all day Saturday we fulfilled my daughter's dream of painting her room a bright lime green! She really loves the room! It was a lot of work!
So, on Saturday night I had to sit down and put together a sermon! On Sunday, had two packed services - a quick lunch and a VBS meeting at 2!
Whew! Makes me tired just thinking about it.
Been thinking about this question - should we preach a sermon or two on the Da Vinci Code? I know several preacher friends who are. Or, should we show one of those "cracking the Da Vinci Code" DVD's on Sunday night and have a discussion afterward? Should we host a dicussion (like a book club would) on the book itself? Is this going to be a big deal?
Any ideas?

1 comment:

Chris Benjamin said...

Well, reading the last post I see that I wasted too much time earning a degree!

But on the topic, I am one of those preaching in response to "Da Code" (my new shorthand for the book/movie). I am doing this because Dan Brown, on his website, suggests that his book is creating an opportunity to discuss matters of faith, religion, history, and spirituality.

This is a great opportunity. But we have to enter the discussion with optimism and humility. If we begin by being defensive and anxious then we are feeding the misconception of the church that Da Code promotes.

See the West-Ark website for my first sermon on Da Code. http://www.westarkchurchofchrist.org/benjamin/2006/060507am.htm