Thursday, May 18, 2006


Just read the most dangerous book I've read in a long time. It's called "Getting Things Done" by David Allen. The sub title is : "The Art of Stress-Free Productivity". Man, two things I want to be: stress free and productive! So, I checked the book out at the library and read it. Enjoyed the first half. Lots of great ideas. It's the second half that got me. He said, "now, we've read the concepts, it's time to put them to work. Block out two whole days back to back." I thought - holy cow! Well, I did it! Took everything out of every drawer and cabnet and refiled everything with Allen's system. For the first time, I can tell you where everything is in less than one minute! I've never been this organized. Kinda scary. I really like his three "D's" - Do it -- if an action will take less than two minutes, it should be done at the moment it is defined; Delegate it - if the action will take longer than two minutes; Defer it -- if the action will take longer than two mintues and you are the right person to do it, you defer it acting on it later and track it on one or more "Next Actions" lists.No "to do" list anymore! You have "next action" lists - calls, "at computer"; at computer - on line; errands, office actions (things that can only be done at home), agendas, reading, etc. No more A,B, C, etc -- you do things when you are in the correct enviorment. Oh, well - read the book!

No comments: