Monday, May 29, 2006

Lifeboat 14

Didn't do the "Da Vinci Code" sermon on Sunday. Just didn't "feel it." Instead, preached a sermon on symbols - talked about common things that remind us of uncommon relationship we have with God. (Everyday things that remind us of eternal things).
We talked about the cross, the "fish", then - moved in lesser known symbols like a fishhook (for being 'fishers of men"), lighthouse (we can be a lighthouse or a clubhouse), a link in a chain (we could be someones only link to God!), a towel (to symbolize what Jesus did in John 13; we should all be servants!). These were all symbols that I had preached on the past several years.
Yesterday, we added one - lifeboat 14! You see, out of all the lifeboats launched from the sinking Titanic, only one came back to look for survivors in the icy waters of the Atlantic Ocean! We, as the disciples of Christ, should be the ones to come back and look for spiritual survivors in a cold world of sin and darkness.
I showed a clip of the movie Titanic where lifeboat 14, captained by Harold Lowe, came back to rescue those still alive.
We added a powerful symbol of what I desire our church to be - lifeboat 14 to the people of Salt Lake City!
My wife just finished designing a new website for our church! Go and check it out at www.southsidechurchutah.org My wife will design a site for you church, too! She wants to help smaller churches who can't affort a great looking website. Just email me at randy.clay@gmail.com for more information.

8 comments:

Dave said...

The new website looks great!

Big ups to the Mrs. !!!

By the way, I did a sermon last week, and I stole this great idea someone gave me...I brought ten kids up on stage and...well, you know the rest.

Randy said...

Ah, very good! How was the reaction?

Dave said...

I'm still here.

Randy said...

I have more ideas . . .

Dave said...

I'm always open to hear them and use them!

Courtney & Co. said...

The website is great. . .give Kathy my Bravo!

I would like to know the rest of the story about the ten kids on stage! Care to share?

Randy said...

Courtney, I told Dave about a sermon I did a few weeks ago when I brought ten children up front. I said that if the current stats hold up, that 60% of our young people will not be involved in any church when they go to college. Then, I asked, "Which one of these children are you willing to sacrifice?" I then encouraged everyone to teach classes, sponsor activities, etc. There, you're in the know!

Courtney & Co. said...

good idea. . .how was the response?